When Rene and I found the house we are currently living in we found out that the washer and dryer would not be staying, therefore the search was on for a new washer and dryer. I’ve been wanting front loaders for a while, and Rene happily agreed (since I do the laundry he didn’t have that much leg to stand on to say no).
I knew I wanted to make my own pedestal for them, as the ones at the store cost $250 EACH, yeah, there was no way I was paying $500 for them.
I found plans on Ana Whites Site that worked well for us. We hit up the HD for all our lumber, screws, ect, and got to building. I didn’t need mine to be open for storage or baskets as I have cabinets above the washer and dryer anyways (that I can’t reach, so my soap/softener ect just sit on top – downfall of being short). So we went ahead and covered it up.
I went to Lowe’s and got a roll of the paintable wallpaper, cut to size, followed the directions and put it up…super easy (if your ever hesitant about it). I also got two strips of wood, 8×2(maybe 1 1/2)x 1/4″ (I think), cut those down to size and framed the front and hide the top seam of the wallpaper. I glued that on and went to town with Rene’s air compressor staple gun.
I then filled all the holes and the seams in the wallpaper with wood filler (and I have to admit using the wood filler on the wall paper made me nervous, but all went well). Once that was fully dried I sanded it to a smooth finnish and painted.
I’m rather impressed with how it came out, and all the materials probably cost around $200 for everything (we have leftover wood too) so you can’t beat that, and I also know based on how well we build it, it will hold my 300+ pound W&D just fine.